As we begin our 2019/2020 year, I would like to begin by welcoming all our new Young Associates. We are excited to have you be a part of our organization and I look forward to meeting each of you at future YA events and programs. To those YA who have been with us from 2018 and earlier I am confident that you will find the upcoming year to be enriching and of great value to you.
At our Wrap Up event held in in June I had mentioned that a few of our board members would be leaving their post. I would like thank Scott Roehl for his time as YA Board Chair and then Past-Chair, Jennifer Tomlinson for her time as Programing Chair, and Chris Reichert for his time on both the Membership and School Relations committees. Thank you all for the work and time that you have put into growing the Young Associates, helping create amazing networking opportunities and value for our members.
I am pleased to advise you that Wilson Low, Mi-Tee Canada, will be chairing the Programming Committee, Wilson brings much energy and enthusiasm to the committee and we look forward to some interesting events throughout the year.
I am pleased to introduce the 5 new Board members: Hadia Asif, Taylor Caldwell, Victoria Penner, Matthew Thomson, and Josh Zaporzan.
- Hadia Asif joined the Young Associates in April, 2019, and is a current member of the YA Membership Committee. Prior to this, Hadia has served as the Treasurer for SSCOPE, the Co-Chair for RBC NextGen, and a Coach at Fast Pitch to the 1st place winning team in 2019. Professionally Hadia works as a Commercial Account Manager at RBC.
- Taylor Caldwell has been a Young Associate since 2016 and sits on the Black & White Committee, and will be chairing the Mapping Manitoba Committee. Taylor has worked for three years in the Commercial Real Estate brokerage at CBRE and currently Cushman and Wakefield | Stevenson.
- Victoria Penner has been a Young Associates since 2017 and has served on the YA Membership Committee. She is a Management Consultant and MNP LLP, and Board Member at Winnipeg South End United Soccer Club.
- Matthew Thomson joined the YA in March, 2019 and currently sits on the YA School Relations Committee where he is co-heading the development of a new mentorship program between the YA and Asper students. He is a past CSA President as well as past Manager of Corporate Relations, past Co-Chair for Commerce Week, and past VP of Finance for the CSA. Currently Matthew sits on the St. George’s Anglican Church Parish Council, and is Youth President of the Tuxedo PC Association. Professionally, Matthew is a Buyer/Scheduler for New Flyer Industries.
- Josh Zaporzan has been a Young Associate since 2017. He currently sits on the YA Programming Committee and will be organizing the YA Boardroom Series. Josh is the Owner/President of Audax Holdings which owns Longball Ahtletics, a Marketing Consultancy, and Nine Restaurant & Lounge. Josh is also the current CEO of Longball Athletics and the General Manager at Nine Restaurant & Lounge. He will be acting as a Venture Coach for the Stu Clarke Centre for Entrepreneurship at the Asper School of Business.
Both the Programming and Membership Committees have been diligently working to develop valuable and informational networking and professional developmental programs and events to fill up your calendars in 2019. I encourage you to attend the following upcoming events:
Wednesday, October 16 the YA Fall Networking Reception is taking place at the Asper Executive Education Centre. If you know of any young leaders in your networks; be it school, career or personal; please invite them to attend the reception or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. This is also a great event for all Young Associates who would like to learn more about the YA and meet fellow YA.
Monday, October 28, the First Boardroom Series event of the year, the YA have been invited to New Flyer Industries where you will hear from Paul Soubry, President & CEO, and Lindy Norris, Marketing & Communications Director. Registration is limited to 16 participants, so please register quickly through the YA website or email@example.com.
The YA Thank Goodness it’s Thursday has been a core YA program. This is a great opportunity to mix and mingle with fellow Young Associates in a casual and relaxed setting. The following TGITs have been planned for 2019:
- October 3 – Langside Grocery with YA host Carly Edmundson
- November 7 – Amsterdam Tea Room with YA Host Jenna Lauber
- December 5 – SMITH Restaurant with YA Host Aaron Denysuik (me)
I encourage all of you to come out to as many events as possible. This is the best way to meet and network with Winnipeg’s young leaders.
I look forward to seeing all of you throughout the 2019/2020 year.